Saturday, November 29, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving and Some Food for Thought About the Scale of the Universe



I'm sure the way I mix up content in my posts would give an editor a stroke, but hey, that's the greatest thing about writing for fun: no one can tell you what to write!  Oh, and I think the image of Master Oogway will make sense by the time you're done with this post, that is if you get done with the post.

Well, we hope everyone enjoyed Thanksgiving and I think most of us have a great deal to be thankful for.  I'm primarily thankful to be a sentient being on THE journey!  I thank God for my wonderful family, friends, and a life that I love and am learning to love more with each passing day.

We had a wonderful time with both Sarah's family, especially since Rob and Jake, as well as Jake's girlfriend, Amy, we're in town (we missed you Laura) and with my family.  On Thanksgiving morning we hiked with my mom, April, Wes and Ryan to the top of Mt. Rubidoux.  Then, after showers and Claire's nap, we went to the Carter's and visited, cooked, ate and stayed up late playing games, etc. The next day we hung out at the Carter's.  I worked on Rob's wedding DVD which we never officially finished and Sarah went running with Jake and Amy.  Afterward we had an indulgent breakfast and then spent the rest of the day in downtown Riverside with both families.  Later that night we went to my parents' place and watched I Am Legend.  We'd all seen it except my mom and Sarah.  Sarah didn't get as scared as I thought she would.

Well, now on to what I've got for you, yes you, tonight.  Sarah fell asleep about an hour ago or so and I just got on and am trying to work on my backlog of email.  While doing so I found an email from a buddy and I thought I'd make a post out of it.  You see, when I find myself sinking into the attitude of ingratitude, I find that thinking about the cosmos helps me recalibrate and when I remember what an amazing, miraculous thing it is to exist and be alive, I find it much easier to feel grateful to be here, NOW, and, paradoxically, I both take things much easier and realize the vital importance of doing the right thing.  Now, that might sound like jibberish to some, but like the turtle master says in King Fu Panda, there are no accidents and I have found (previously to viewing that wondrous little film) that he's absolutely correct: there are no accidents or coincidences and the full realization of that truth changes one forever.

In the past I have created other posts regarding the scale of the universe, mostly because I think it's cool and very thought compelling.  Check out the older posts HERE and HERE.  Here's an old video that my friend Shawn recently emailed me that I thought I'd share.  Now, it's rather long, so watch the first three minutes or so, if you're interested of course, and then skip to about minute 6 when it starts to zoom back in.  Science says a lot, but it definitely doesn't have the final say on what's really "going on" around here!

Anyway, pretend you're in an old classroom in the 1970s and enjoy this video:



If you find the video boring, here's a more interactive way to see the same thing and you can control how fast you go through it.  I think it's good to challenge oneself to think about these things because, as you know, unless you're on Discovery or some other channel, TV and the evil minions behind the programming aren't going to try to stimulate much of anything above the neck line.

Yesterday is history,

tomorrow is a mystery,

but today is a gift.

That is why it is called the present. - Master Oogway


1 comment:

Amber said...

Does this ever happen to you. Your kids watch a movie and you happen to see the same 5 min over and over again. Well, that happened to me and Kung Fu Panda. And today I saw 5 more min. and it was that part. So true. It makes me re-think how I spend each day.