Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Podcasts...Who, What, When, Where and Why?


Do you love podcasts? Do you even know what they are (if you want to skip my confusing and wordy explanation, check out the Wikipedia entry)? Although I assume most people have heard the term "podcast," I don't think the majority of people understand their nature, listen to them and are really aware of how they work. In fact, a couple of years ago the term blog was similar: it was all over the news and the internet, but it took some time before it reached a critical mass.

Podcasts are basically recorded programs, generally in the form of the spoken word, which are created by individuals and organizations for the purpose of being download and listened to by individuals when and where they please rather than in live format on a traditional radio or internet radio site. For example, all of the NPR programs, such as Car Talk, Fresh Air and the BBC World News, as well as Ensign articles, talks, etc., are free and made immediately available via iTunes (which is also free) in the form of an MP3 files which are organized with previous installments in chronological order and available through syndicated download or a live feed. You can even set up iTunes to automatically download and install all new episodes directly to your iPod. If you don't use iTunes and an iPod, you can download the podcast directly from the website. Regardless of what you're into, from art to computers to scrapbooking, there are podcasts out there on that topic.

I was just talking to mom the other day and I realized that since they'd been living in a hotel while waiting for the deal on their new home to close, she hadn't had access to her desktop computer. Now, she has a notebook computer and a "Boysenberry," but the primary problem is that her iTunes account lives solely upon that machine. The problem, then, is that she hadn't been able to sync her iPod for weeks and despite the fact that her music collection is still on the iPod, and can be listend to as long as it had a charge, the issue--no, the tragedy--was her inability to update her favorite podcasts! Of course I am using some hyperbole here (don't you see a pattern in my writing...I mean, look at the Twilight post), but once you get used to downloading and listening to podcasts you get very used to having tons of content custom tailored to your individual taste right at your fingertips or, um, your ear drums.

I don't know exactly what my mom's favorite podcasts are, mostly NPR stuff I believe, but when you get used to driving and consuming information in that manner, the radio just doesn't hack it anymore.

Here are some of my favorite podcasts as of late:

These are little one minute episodes that deal with psychological findings often with a self-help spin. These make for great conversation starters over dinner with friends too.

I love honing my grammar and diction and the short episodes (approx. 10 min each) deal with various problematic language issues such as "Can I..." vs. "May and I..." and many others which are far more problematic. Obviously you have to care enough to try to improve and I don't think you should have to be a writer to care.

Available on iTunes
Podcasts of top philosophers sharing information about their specific interests and studies in bite sized form. I love this podcast because I can learn, albeit superficially, about various philisophical concepts and arguments.

Various talks, both old and new, pushed straight to your computer or MP3 player.

In addition to these, I listen to podcasts about technology (Leo Laporte's "The Tech Guy") and sports podcasts.

So, if you have an MP3 player and drive more than 15 mins to work, you may want to check out podcasting. Once you get it figured out, I think you'll love it.

Related links:


No comments: