Saturday, November 15, 2008

Daddy, Carter, Juice It Up, Reptiles and African Immigrants

Yesterday Carter and I hung out or, as Momma likes to say, we went on a "date," but that doesn't sit well with us. Anyhow, I decided it would be fun to hit up the local Juice It Up smoothie store off Day Street in MoVal (Moreno Valley). After getting a smoothie, I planned to jump back on the 60 East and head out to a Reptile Store that I found using Google Maps off Alessandro and Heacock. Anyone who knows me well knows that I love herpetology, specifically snakes and voracious frogs--Rest in Peace Tombie, the South American horned frog who died last year after 10 wonderful years of eating mice and wowing people with his spectacular coloring...he lived two years more than the typical lifespan of horned frogs by the way--so I knew a trip to a pet store of this nature would please us both because hey, what little boy doesn't love frogs, lizards, snakes and so forth? OK, they must exist, but I gurantee our genomes would have ZERO crossover.

Anyway, we arrived at Juice It Up rather quickly, waited in a line behind a few people--including a young black woman who was having a passionate and, in my opinion, personal conversation with a friend or family member about someone else that was both repulsive and fascinating at the same time---and made our order. We ordered the 32 oz. "Ultimate Açaí Smoothie (Organic Açaí, fresh from the Amazon with Guarana, banana & apple/strawberry juice blend) and, because you get one free "boost" with the 32 oz. side I asked for the protien additive since you know Carter and I must feed our muscles (ha!) and waited for guy to make it.

The "guy" was the only person working. A large, dark skinned black dude with an accent. He addressed us with a kind welcome when we had first entered the store, something I truly appreciate since I think all too many businesses have forgotten to treat the customer with diginity and friendliness. I struck up a conversation with him after the other customers had left. I said something to the effect that with the economy slumping it seems like more and more places are cutting staff. He agreed, but also mentioned that with the minimum wage begin raised to $8 per hour in CA, it's difficult for employers.

He continued to work so I walked over to Carter who I had set up with the iPhone on one of the tall stools at a bar. He was drawing with some little app I had loaded on the phone. I pointed out some little plaques with pictures on the wall of various sports teams which the store had obviously sponsored. That's when I noticed some little documents/news stories that were framed and mounted inconspicously on the wall in the corner. I began reading them and they described a Wraymond Sawyer who had come from war the war torn nation of Sierra Leone in Africa to the US to live with a woman who wanted to sponsor a child. He prospered in the US and when he became a man, joined the Sherriffs of San Bernardino County. In 2004, however, he was badly injured in an automobile accident and took an early retirement from the force. He now owns the Juice It Up off Canyon Springs in Moreno Valley.

Now, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but it hit me that the black gentleman with the accent working at the counter probably was Mr. Sawyer.

"Excuse me, are you Mr. Sawyer?" I asked.

"Yes, I am," he responded.

I told him how impressed I was by his story and that I find stories such as his quite inspirational. We talked for a few minutes and I introduced him to Carter who was all smiles. I told him we'd be sure to come back and support his business since we enjoy smoothies. As we were leaving he cried out, "Carter, come here!" Carter ran over to him and he handed him a molasses cookie. Carter looked up and said, "Thank you!"

I thanked him too and we left, full of the spirit of love and fellowship. I was very touched by his story and his attitude and thankful to have met him. So, if you live on our side of Riverside and you want a smoothie, head on over to the Juice It Up right in front of Target in MoVal off Day Street. By the way, a little Googling revealed that Mr. Sawyer also sits on the board of the Val Verde School district.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A little while later, after sucking down most of the 32 oz. smoothie between the two of us, we arrived at Prehistoric Times (a knock off of the more popular franchise Prehistoric Pets). I laughed when I got there, using Google Maps on my phone, because it's in the same strip mall as the 24 Hour Fitness I go to. I think most of the employees were outside taking a smoke break and, as we walked in past the many defunct aquariums and blacl industrial fans being used to push fresh air into the store, I had a sinking feeling that the place was "ghetto." I was suprised and content, however, to see a variety of specimens, most of whom were in good health; there are certain signs that indicate reptile health and how well they're being cared for and most of the signs were positive.

The owner, or manager, a younger Hispanic woman with bad skin but a friendly demeanor approached us and asked if we'd like some help. I politely told her we were there mostly to look around. I did ask her if she carried "Pac Man" frogs, the name by which Argentine/South American Horned Frogs are generally known in the pet industry.


"Yeah, we do actually. We don't usually get them in very often, and they go really fast. In fact, a bunch of guys from Loma Linda University keep calling to find out if we have any and I know that when they find out, they'll buy them all."

She showed me three juvenile specimens, two of which were albinos and one little guy. I could tell by their coloring that they were all hybrids and, thankfully, quite healhty. Right then I had the urge to buy the non-albino dude, but I thought better. I would need to get a new, smaller aquarium and a heating unit for the cold months approaching.

We looked at all of the snakes, lizards, turtles, and tarantulas. We then met "Red," a red-haired stoner who barely spoke but seemed content to follow us around and grunt little factoids about the animals. Carter noticed the skin on his elbows had something wrong with them and asked, "What's on your arms?" He responded by telling him but I can't remember the name of the disorder (not eczema). I laughed inside and thought of the "funky head" comments that he had been making previously about the kids at his school (see the older post about that).

Carter's absolute favorite animal in the store was not a reptile, however, it was the parrot that talked. He only said, "Hello" and "Hi," but Carter was thoroughly impressed that the animal could talk. That made my day since I wanted him to have some fun with his Dad. Soon we departed and Carter sat with a content look on his face all the way home (normally he talks incessantly, kind of like me). We arrived at home and related everything that he saw at the pet store while I laid back on the couch and thought about the little PacMan frog.
-----------------
Funny side note: that evening I took the kids to the MoVal Mall (we live just minutes from those exits which is why we go there rather than to Riverside's mall) to play in the indoor play area. Strangely enough, I met another African man who came to the US years ago. I can't recall his name, but he is a manager for WinCo foods and, like Mr. Sawyer, was a class act (synchronicity?). He told me that African immigrants are hard workers and often start their own businesses. He lamented the fact that very few Africans can immigrate to the US due to the millions of illegal immigrants who have crossed the US border illegally.

2 comments:

Amber said...

I dont know if you will see this but. Spencer and I are going on a date tonight. Sorry he wont be there. Maybe in a few months we can watch the fight at our place.

Michelle Kiprop said...

This is Michelle Sarah's old nursing school buddy. I appreciated your giving props to hard working African immigrants. It has taken us two years to finally get my husband's visa approved. It's a challenging situation for sure!