Sunday, November 2, 2008

Halloween: Now With a Dose of Non-conformity!

Before I post all the Halloween photos, I have to explain Carter's costume. Last week we were at our friend, Sam's house--Sam is my friend Amber's son--when Sam told Carter about how his "Grandma lives in Colorado and it snows there."

Later that day, Carter turned to me and suddenly announced, "I know what I want to be for Halloween mommy...Colorado!"

"What do you mean, Colorado? The State of Colorado?" I asked with a smile.

"Yes, just put a hole for my head and two for my arms and a picture of a house with snow on it on the front," he replied casually, as if requesting to be a State was quite normal.

I have to admit, when he first mentioned the idea I was perplexed and not thrilled; I wasn't sure how we were going to come up with the costume really. But, after realizing there was no dissuading him and after talking to Danny who was thrilled at Carter's budding individuality and was happy that his son wanted something "unique," we went forward with the idea. It ended up being quite fun to create his costume and he ended up being able to help a great deal which was an added bonus. Claire tried to help, but ended up getting covered in paint.

After we finished the costume, I stopped to reflect on the blessing it is to be Carter's mother. He is so creative and observant of the world around him. My greatest hope is that he uses his "non-conforming" attitude to avoid the pitfalls that being a follower can create while simultaneously remaining obedient to the things and people who point us towards happiness.

Now, finally, here are some pictures oh his costume and of other photos we took on Halloween and in the days leading up to it.

By the way, Danny helped me edit this so if you "hear" his voice in the post, you'll know why.
From Todd Halloween 2008

From Todd Halloween 2008

From Todd Halloween 2008

7 comments:

aprilaleman said...

That is AWESOME... I hadn't heard he was the entire state of California. I mean being an entire state for Halloween must be pretty cumbersome. And, I must add that Claire is the cutest lil' Cowgirl I've ever seen!!!

c said...

This is great! I love it! And I love that you didn't manhandle him out of the creative idea. Maybe my kids aren't the only ones who have favorite states in their lists of favorites (colors, ice cream flavors...)

c said...

And Claire is truely a doll!

The Ward Family said...

I love how you let him be creative! I bet that is a Halloween he'll never forget!!! You guys are great. I love Claire's outfit also! So cute.

Jennifer said...

Pretty cute. Carter is the handsomest state of Colorado I've ever seen and Claire is one cute "coloradan (??)" cowgirl. They coordinated...

Marla said...

Your kids were so cute at the Halloween party. I loved the Colorado costume, Carter is so clever.

Familia Bethers said...

They would have been a BIG hit here! They both look great!