Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Mark in Afghanistan

Mark Fisher, my cousin (my mom's sister Jill's youngest) is currently serving at Bagram Airbase just north of Kabul. Here's a brief description Mark wrote about what he does:

"I spend at least a few hours a week inside of the BTIF and see a lot of bad folks. There are a handful of personal assistants to Bin Laden, murderers, and guys that have spilled American blood that live there. A very bad place for a lot of evil men... [This] picture is of our little shop (the 3 of us) that services the theater of Afghanistan for...[those who] get accepted into the BTIF... We are at the General's aid with information about the detainees when it is necessary and provide everyone in Afghanistan guidance as to proper interrogation as well as detainee procedures. There is no one that knows more about the people inside this facility outside of me in Afghanistan (that's because it is my job and I have been here longer than the other two who I trained when they got here). We have to deal with the embassy, Karzai, and sometimes even "Gitmo" with detainee issues. We also have put in over 200 detainees since I have been here. That is what I do in a nutshell."

Mark will come home in early 2009 and we're excited for him and for his family. His wife Louise lives in Downey and manages a small apartment complex and takes care of their three children, the youngest of whom (Lafe) was just born a few months ago. She is a strong woman!

2 comments:

Louise said...

Is my english really that bad? It probably bugged you that it looked the way it was in the original format.
Mark

Haddorkus said...

I'm a little behind in my blog reading so I just read this one. This is where my Dan is. Just love to play the do you know game, right? Is he a member? They might go to service together. Although Bagram right now also has the Utah National Guard so the LDS congregation there is the largest church service they have. Just another one of those small little world things, I guess.