Monday, May 21, 2007

The "Torture Debate"


I found THIS very interesting read about interrogation techniques. It briefly lays out some of the "non-violent" techniques employed by the U.S. to garnish information from suspected terrorists. Some people think the techinques are too harsh.

After 9-11 ocurred and I heard agents were out interrogating suspects around the world I had the mentality of, "Whatever it takes, get the info out of them." Then, one day I watched a special on torture and intterogation on the History Channel. It changed my point of view on the matter entirely. Basically it comes down to this: when torture is employed to get information, you can get anyone to admit anything. American POW from the Vietnam war talked about confessing all kinds of crazy things that weren't true simply because they wanted to avoid further pain.

Now, I don't personally feel that all of the things you will read about in this link should be off limits, but it brings out the debate how far is too far. I have to agree with the one official who says something to the effect of using psychological tactics is the best bet.
The link again:
http://www.privateinvestigators.cc/images/Interrogation.jpg

No comments: