Friday, May 11, 2007

How do I have the time?



So, how do I find the time to blog, etc. when I work full-time, go to school full-time, and have a family (not to mention my work with youth).

#1- WIFI
With the advent of wireless internet, I can get online from almost anywhere. I enjoy WIFI internet at home, work, and school. When I get a handheld device that connect to the internet I'll be set...although that's kind of scary.
#2- Drafting
It's not like I just jump on and type out an entire blog each time, although I do that occasionally. Most of the time I start a post and then use the "SAVE AS DRAFT" feature which allows me to get an idea down "on paper" and then I can revisit it later and add to it, tweak it, etc. When I'm finally ready to roll it out, I "PUBLISH" it. Obviously I don't spend too much time drafting and editing, or my writing would be a bit more polished (when I read these over I realize that they're a little rough around the edges, but I consider my blog to be vehicle to get ideas out, not showcase copy.)
#3- I don't watch much TV
I'm not a big fan of TV and that frees up a lot of time. People say, "How do you have time for video games?" Well, these days I don't play often, and since I don't watch much TV, I probably have more "free time" when I'm home than most people. I'm always a bit taken aback by how much TV so many of my friends and family watch. Comdey, sports, news, and the occasional documentary on Discovery or History channel is about the extent of the TV in my life. Currently I am watching TUF Season 5, Planet Earth, Futurama, and the NBA playoffs. Thanks to DVR I catch these when I can (often late in the evening and on weekends) and I skip through all the commercials.
#4- Insatiable appetite for ideas and writing...I know, weird!
For me, writing is fun and I like to get ideas on paper because if I don't, it just feels like I'm bottling up too much energy. So for me, this is a form of energy release...and I like to share ideas with others and get feedback. Plus it's good for conversation. If I fun into a friend who has read my blog, we can talk about ideas and not just people and other "superficial topics."
#5- I type fairly quickly
50 plus words a minute...and I don't even type correctly. Freakazoid!
#6- I make time.

No comments: