Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Movie Reviews (w/Spidey 3 Review)



Movie Reviews! I found something else I'd love to write for my blog. My reviews are not going to be in-depth, and I will rate the movie on a 5 star scale just to make it easy. I am sure I will disturb some of you since art is subjective and since movies are an art form, then our ideas about movies are going to be essentially different. In fact, I just had a thought: I'll give a movie my rating, and then my "pop" rating which will refer to how I would recommend it to a wide audience. For example, X-Men 3 was a cool movie, but I'd give it 3.5 (above average/good) but for the set that likes pop sci-fi movies, I'd give it a solid 4.

0- Terrible, don't watch it.
1- Poor film, but has some redeeming qualities.
2- Below average, maybe a rental
3- Average film, probably worth watching
4- Good movie. Recommended.
5- Excellent. A potential classic that should be viewed as soon as you get the chance.

Anything by Wes Anderson, for example, is a 5. jk
-------------------------------------------------------

SPIDERMAN 3 Review
Overall rating: 3.5 (*** 1/2)
Good: Heaping portions of special effects, looks great on the big screen, Tobey does a great job acting out the comic book role, 2/3 villians are compelling and scary.
Bad: A bit too long, plot should have been tightened up some, the "Sandman" character was both the most expensive and the least interesting despite the compelling moral ambiguity.

I am not a big fan of the Spiderman movies thus far, but I've enjoyed all three of them so far. Spiderman 3 is the most enjoyable of the three films for me and that's due largely to the villains, minus the Sandman. I thought Venom was very interesting both visually and because of the internal conflict element that he/it introduces. It also turned Peter Parker into a very tragically funny character. His friend, the name escapes me at the moment but is played by James Franco, is also very interesting because he's not really a "bad" character but lashes out because of a misunderstanding. Anyhow, I don't have time to write an in-depth review, but suffice to say that the film is a fun popcorn flick but suffers from a plot that sagged in a few spots and could have done without the Sandman character entirely and, instead, should have focused on the other plot elements which I personally found more thought provoking and/or simply entertaining. The budget was absolutely ridiculous, perhaps the most expensive movie ever made, but once it hits DVD it'll likely become one of the highest grossing moves of all time.

No comments: