Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A True Test

I've been asked to represent the "YES on Prop 8" stance in a sort of "debate" regarding the proposed amendment to the state constitution. The debate will take place at a prominent private University and will happen in a "pluralism" course (a class about diversity and tolerance). I'll be going up against someone who, by the very definition of their lifestyle, is against prop 8. I have used the word debate, but it's actually more of a presentation. I'll take 15 minutes to present the affirmative position on the prop after which the other gentleman will present for an equal amount of time against prop 8. I have been reassured by the instructor, a friend of mine, that everything will be tasteful and so forth, but I can't help but feel a little bit of trepidation. I don't want to go into great detail, but the other presenter is someone whom I know well and see regularly and I love the guy, he's a wonderful person, so I don't want our relationship to be strained since we've known each other for years but have never expressly stated our vastly divergent views on such issues as same-sex marriage, etc.

The more I think about this issue, and after getting the OK from the instructor, I have decided to bring philosophical and spiritual elements into my presentation, despite the brevity of the issue. I know a lot of people might disagree with this approach, but to me a solely intellectual approach does not fully support Prop 8; inevitably it comes down to the vital nature of marriage as a means whereby physical bodies are created for spirits. This may not be "popular" and accepted by everyone, but it's the truth and I believe that it rings true to people regardless of their specific faith. I happen to know that my audience is roughly 25% decided for Prop 8, 25% decided against, and 50% undecided or unwilling to share their thoughts (the tyranny of tolerance stops many from sharing their true stance in most academic settings).

Anyhow, this won't be happening until the 28th, so I'll make sure to post a follow up to the event and let you know how it all goes. If you get the chance, let me know one or two things you would say about Prop 8 if you had to boil it down to the very essence of the argument.

Here are some of the things I may bring up:

1. The inherent subjectivity of individual perception
1A- The increasing divergence between modern secularism and religion
2. My personal faith and the intolerance my religious group has faced in the past
3. The "rational" and legal issues surrounding prop 8
4. The vital nature of the family
5. The importance of loving all people and standing up for what one believes is right
6. My personal testimony of the family and of the existence of God

The other way I could present this is the very basic, straight forward way without bringing in so much of my own experience.

I'd say "wish me luck" but I don't believe in luck!

4 comments:

Spence said...

I really wish I could be there to see it. I'm sure you will do well - I've never debated you, but you seem cut out for it. Are you going to record the event? I think you should.

Kath said...

I would love to go, I'm sure you will do great. A friend of mine who is not sure of how she feels about Prop 8 sent me some info from the "against prop 8" people. You may have already seen it, but I'll forward it on to you (along with my response to her), just in case you want to know what the opposition is saying. I think you are right on track with how to handle this debate. Good luck!

The Ward Family said...

I agree that you should record the event :) I really admire you for doing this. Bringing spiritual elements into the debate will touch people the most. I'll have to think of the 2 things I'd say and I'll get back to you on that. My mom always said, "Say a little prayer before and you'll do fine." The Holy Ghost will guide you because you're doing the Lord's work.

c said...

Good luck anyhow :) If anyone is up to such a challenge, you are Danny! You have a way with words. Your testimony will touch those open to hear truth. You've probably already looked into this, but the 4 minute protectmarriage.org commercial "Prop 8 In PlainEnglish" with the stick figures breaks everything down nicely.