Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Insane nerf sniper rifle...the perfect gift for the boy who has everything

DISCLAIMER: When I first created this post and linked the pics from Picasa, they were all in the correct perspective. Now some are turned upside down, etc. I am not going to fix them, so go ahead and relax your neck.

I own firearms.  I don't have a huge collection--a semiautomatic pistol, a few .22 rifles, and a couple of miscellaneous rifles and shotguns.  I guess to some that might seem like a small arsenal, but compared to true gun enthusiasts and collectors, my collection is just a starter kit.

As you can guess, I don't have a problem with firearms.  I was raised to understand that firearms are tools, albeit dangerous tools, and they serve various purposes.  Some are designed to hunt, others for defense, and yet others for sport (target practice, etc.).

All that said, I am not a big believer in toy guns.  Guns are serious business and our society is way too centered on violence and war as entertainment which is truly tragic.   When Carter is old enough, I'll teach him out to clean and use a firearm; I will teach him how serious and dangerous weapons are and I believe he'll learn to respect and use them for what they are intended, just as one would teach a child how to use a hammer or a roll of duct tape or a car.

So, at this point my guns are locked up and Carter really doesn't have any toy guns, minus a Buzz Lightyear laser gun which we hid a long time ago due to the highly annoying noise it makes.  Then, on Carter's birthday, my dad busts out the *Nerf Longshot Double Component Air Chamber Supreme 3000.  What...the...?

I'll let the photos speak for themselves.  Suffice to say I ended up playing with it more than Carter...and Claire nuetralized the darts pretty quickly with her sharp little teeth.  Oh yeah, and I ambused my buddies Gary and Ryan from my roof top when they pulled up the other day.


*Not the real name. (;

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Ella is loving this post...she said....that's my friend....that's my cousin...that's my Carter.... and he has guns!

Love it!

Amber said...

WOW, that thing is pretty sweet!
I think that is going to be Spencer's father day gift from Gavin. Or maybe Valentines gift from me. Nothing says I LOVE YOU like a gun, right?

Spence said...

Whoah! I wih I would have had one of those when I was a kid. Maybe it would have thwarted our shooting each other with real bb guns (ouch).

I remember seeing part of your gun collection when you lived in Orem - especially your shotgun with the heatshield.

Christine said...

It seems that every boy birthday party I host for my sons results in at least one nerf rifle. It seems to be a boy staple.

c said...

Whoa - now that's a gun! I am so onboard with you about toy guns. My boys love Grandma's house "because we can play with guns all day there."