Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Running

I tend to not blog because, like everything else in my life, I think it has to be extraordinary. I even told Danny last week I am done blogging as it is just one more thing I need to get done (I may be just slightly melodramatic). With that said, I wanted to thank everyone for the support and encouragement you gave me regarding my race last weekend! While I was running I kept thinking about what you all said and it gave me extra strength! Thank you!

I also need to correct some of the historical misinformation from Danny's post regarding fitness. I actually started running in 8th grade. I did it off an on in high school. Melissa and I even ran track together. Well, she ran, I ended up throwing discus because I was so slow:) Then I went to BYU and gained the freshman 15. I tried running my freshman year but I specifically remember going once when it was 29 degrees outside and thought my lungs would never recover. At the end of my freshman year, I went home, took up running again and then came back, as Danny mentioned, tan and slightly more toned.

I have to give some serious shout-outs to my running buddies along the way. Heather Miller and I woke up way to early and went to the Smith Fieldhouse to run my sophomore year at BYU. When we got married, we were in an amazing ward with people who have become our eternal friends. Of those I ran a few days a week with Ranelle, Aileen and Kathryn. I have to add that Jennifer was our running buddy in spirit and her and Dave even ran a 5K with no training! Kathryn and Ranelle had both run marathons previously and they inspired me to go for a life goal of running one. My sister-in-law Heidi and I trained together and ran the St. George Marathon in the fall of 2003. (I tried to scan photos with my old running buddies but our scanner isn't working...so although this post isn't living up to my expectations it will suffice).

After having Carter, Amber and I started running together. We have had babies at different times so we get each other back in shape and remind each other that the baby fat will disappear eventually! I trained for this race with Amber & Shonda. Training for races with friends is one of the biggest things that keeps me going. Chatting with girlfriends while exercising really is the BEST! Unfortunately, Amber got sick and wasn't able to run with us, but Shonda, Lisa J and I all ran the race. I guess the biggest shout-out should be to Danny who was willing to get up with the kids on Saturday mornings so I could train and supports me in anything I want to do--love you babe!

It was a great experience. I stayed well hydrated, got plenty of sleep the night before and felt great during and after! I finished in 2 hours 11 minutes. My PR was 2 hours 4 minutes but I just wanted to be under 2: 15 and I was! Here is a photo of me after the race at home (someday I will scan all those old ones too). It is such a good feeling to set a goal and accomplish it. That is what I love most about running!

9 comments:

Heidi said...

I know...I felt really bad (Seriously) because I ddint say much about it before or after...selfish, we have just been so busy with our move, house, kids, funeral, etc. BUT I really did think about you, and you KNOW I am proud of you. I am glad to be considered one of your running buddies, although I havent done much lately. I REALLY need to start again, now that we are getting settled. So lets pick a race and plan a date. :)

Deanna said...

Congrats Sarah! Glad you made it under your goal. That's a good feeling. You look great!

The Ward Family said...

That's so great! Congrats. You are my idol. I love to run and have only ran one 5K. I would love to run a marathon someday! It really feels so good to run!

L.B. said...

Sarah, that's a great feat. You're definitely an inspiration for someone like me who is going to be tackling this half-marathon soon.

Paul/Heather said...

I just started again (on a treadmil of course because of the snow)...but I wish I had good running friends! Paul runs too fast and I feel like a small dog trying to keep up!My legs go 3X's as fast so I am 3Xs as pathetic.
Miss you!

Anupa Harvey said...

Awesome Sarah--you're my hero! :)

Jennifer said...

I so LOVE that I was your running buddy in spirit. I remember the first time I went I barely made it home. I collapsed on the floor and whimpered for the next hour while waiting for my lungs and legs to recover. Seriously! I just started working out at a gym and I have a trainer and everything and now I know why I am such an athletic dufus! My resting heart rate is 100bpm. That means when I get on the treadmill (like I did this morning hurah) I almost have a heart attack! So proud of you Sarah and you sure look good for all that effort:-)

Kath said...

Running with you was the best! I've been such a slug lately. I've set the goal to be more consistent this year. I did good last week and hope to be doing some longer Saturday runs soon. Maybe you could join me on a run down Victoria sometime in the next few months?

dallin+michelle said...

NICE WORK SARAH!! you've always been a runner and i love that about you! my favorite is your run in place mock run... don't know if you remember doing that for me at BYU. and the running pays off indeed-- you look INCREDIBLE!!!