Saturday, January 3, 2009

Oh What a Night!

I got home from work at 8 o'clock last night and had to return at 5:30 this morning. Before I got home I talked to Danny, who said that he was putting Claire down and after the busy day he and Carter had laying concrete I figured Carter would be just about ready too. I got home to both kids up. Claire screamed merceslessly when Danny put her down so he got her back up. We said prayer together and then Claire's second attempt for bed. It didn't go so well. She screamed so badly, she started to get a scratchy voice. I decided to just let her stay up for a while. I read Carter a story and said goodnight to him for the first time.

Danny and I enjoy watching At the Movies together, although we rarely see the movies they are critiquing, it is still fun. We watched that in moderate peace. The funniest part was how excited Claire got when she saw Marley in the Marley & Me piece...she LOVES dogs. It is good thing kids do cute things when they are really annoying you or parenting would be much more difficult.

So now it is after nine, we put Claire down for the third and final time, turning on the house fan to drown out her crying this time. Right after she is in bed, Carter's door opens and he says "diaper change please". I said, "Carter, did you poop your pants?" "Yes," he replied sheepishly. I started laughing. Danny came in to assess the situation, I assured him we were fine. Cleaned Carter up and put him back to bed. Go to wash my face and Carter comes back out saying, "I feel alone." Reassure him. Back to finish brushing teeth and start laughing again. Danny starts to get worried when I start laughing hysterically. I reassured him. The choice was to laugh or cry, I decided to laugh.

Alexander Pope once said, 'Blessed is the man who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.' Maybe that should be the Todd family motto for the year.

4 comments:

Deanna said...

Oh the joys of motherhood! I'm glad you could laugh at the situation and not cry, especially since you had to wake up early the next morning.

Amber Barney said...

I love it--I hope the New Year brings you much more laughter than tears!

The Ward Family said...

I LOVE that quote!!!! I couldn't help but laugh also. I tend to laugh a lot too when it seems one thing after the other! You're a good mom!

Cox Family said...

We've all been there and I've gotten really irritated and also laughed. I find the more I laugh the better! You're awesome! Reading your blog makes me miss Riverside! Say hi to April for me.
Cynthia