Monday, July 21, 2008

Double dipped and deep fried ...and now with 25% more family tradition!

I'm not a big fan of Domino's or Pizza Hut. I am not a full blown pizza snob, but living in Italy for a couple of years did disillusion me to what most Americans think of as Italian food...or food in general. Most Italian families, for example, eat out at a sit down restaurant no more than once a year, probably less in most cases. They have little food stands where they sell little pizzas baked fresh each morning and you want fresh bread? Foggedaboudit! There's a fresh bread bakery and little produce and meat markets everywhere! People buy their fresh ingredients and go home and cook as a family or with friends and consume what they cook together. So it often makes me chuckle when I see ads trying to sell their product as something it's not. For example, I often feel upset after watching an Olive Garden commercial since they try to spin their restaurant as some sort of "bring the family down and enjoy a true, homemade Italian meal...and create some lasting family traditions too!" Tradition of consuming over salted food that comes in from a central warehouse and is heated up and served by a guy who doesn't tip his bus boy enough. Can you tell I'm still upset about getting shafted as a bus boy back in the day?

Now, I'm not saying I don't scarf down the occasional slice of Pizza Hut pizza or enjoy the bread sticks and salad at the Olive Garden (I used to work at the one in Chino in fact), BUT I think marketing is sickening sometimes and I think too many of these pizza places water down their own product by creating all kinds of double-crust-nacho-filled dough with seven kinds of pepperonis. What the!? I must say, however, that in Italy people actually eat pizzas covered with hot dogs or fried eggs, but at least they don't have franchises!


Domino's Scientists Test Limits Of What Humans Will Eat

Oh, and check out the new feed bags that fast food franchises will soon be offering. Personally, I can't wait. I HATE having to lift the food to my face...so fatiguing!

New Wearable Feedbags Let Americans Eat More, Move Less

5 comments:

Malpractice said...

I'd love to just drive around for a couple of days with a feed bag on to see people's reactions (and find out who likes the Onion)

aprilaleman said...

actually made my stomach churn watching these.

Jennifer said...

That is so funny that yo feel that way about Olive Garden. I feel the same and won't eat there because it drives me nuts!

Dr. Jay Caballero said...

Funny, I just realized it was a fictitious news channel. I assumed it was CNN because they always blow smoke anyway....As far as Olive Garden, why'd you burst my bubble Dan. You mean the food is not prepared by those chefs trained in southern Italy like the commercial says? This is scandelous!!!

Holly Moore said...

Oh my gosh, sick! I'm so glad the onion was spoofing it and it wasn't really on the news. That would be the down fall of society! And what's with the "deep friends"? (=