Thursday, May 1, 2008

The joys of car trouble...and do you name your vehicle?

The image “http://www.coolstoke.co.uk/blog/images/blog/6_1.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

We all have to go to the doctor once in a while for a check up or for medicine. We all must occasionally purchase a new dishwasher, new clothes, new glasses, and so forth. So why is it when the car breaks down and requires a repair does it feel like the world is going to end? I suppose the primary difference is that when the car breaks down, you cannot drive it and, therefore, you're out a ride unless you have a back up car (Riste).

About two weeks ago our old Ford Focus, aka: Farina, broke down. She'd been sputtering and producing all sort of strange noises for months, even years, so we knew this was coming. She required about a thousand dollars worth of work; the timing belt and its components needed to be replaced along with the water pump, spark plugs, radiator hoses, and a few other things. Although we should have had the maintenance done on the car ages ago, I'm sure it would have cost a lot more than $1K to get the services done, especially at the dealer, than it did to get the car fixed recently. If it hadn't been for Sarah's parents letting us borrow their car, things would have been very difficult, so thanks Jeff and Susan!

The break down, however, couldn't have come at a worse moment. Sarah and I were heading over to church to take part in a program when the call from April came in: she was stuck in the car with Carter and Claire in a dangerous spot on the 60 freeway. I immediately changed courses, met them there, got them shuffled off in a different card (thanks for helping Wes!), and got the car towed (thanks Mom). If it hadn't been for my mom and Matt Yacubic letting us use their AAA cards, it would have ended up costing us even more. I payed $82 to get the car diagnosed at a service station and then ended up getting it towed over to ProTrans in Riverside. They did the work relatively cheaply, BUT it took 9 days total (5 work days) and only called us to give us the status update once, all the other times we had to call them. Furthermore, I noticed on the invoice that the tech said that I gave him a verbal OK on the labor at a given price point when I did not, but I suppose those kinds of things happen when they're trying to get the job done (but I was at my cell the whole time waiting for the call).

Bottom line: we have Farina back and she's running as good as an 8 year old American ex-rental car that hasn't been maintained well can run. Did I mention I get the particular pleasure of rolling this ride? Sarah and the kids use the newer Honda Accord. We just need to come up with a name for the Accord. Any ideas? (She's a 2004 bluish/gray v-6 sedan). I think all cars deserve a name (trucks are usually masculine, cars feminine). Do you have a name for your car(s)? If so, what are they?

2 comments:

aprilaleman said...

Wes and I love naming our cars.

My old Sentra as most people well know is.. Mr. Perry T. Winkle. "Mr. T" is his usual name. It originated when I aquired a Mr. T bobble head, and the color is Perrywinkle. Lovin it.

And out Saturn is Humphrey named after Grandma Jo's dog. As we aquired her old car.

I think only you or Sarah should name the car as it is a personal thing. But my suggested would be... Sasso.

Jennifer said...

Did you know that they (who "they" are I don't know) recently did a study and found a strong correlation between people that name their cars and people that are more prone to be road ragers?! I better watch out for you on the road when we move back!