Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Success!

Genetics are a pain! About four years ago I was diagnosed with elevated triglyceride levels. Triglycerides are the chemical form in which most fat exists in food as well as in the body. At the time I was pushing 250lbs but I never felt an urgent need to lose the weight because I carried it better than some, and no one ever gave me a hard time (Sarah would occasionally tell me she worried about my health, but she never compared me to a beached whale or anything like that).

Anyhow, I lost some of the weight over time and by blood tests looked better. Then, about a year or two ago, I was diagnosed with fatty liver disease. Fatty liver (also known as steatorrhoeic hepatosis or steatosis hepatitis) is a reversible condition where large vacuoles of triglyceride fat accumulate in liver cells. Despite having multiple causes, fatty liver disease (FLD) can be considered a single disease that occurs worldwide in those with excessive alcohol intake and those who are obese (with or without effects of insulin resistance). The condition is also associated with other diseases that influence fat metabolism[1].

In other words, I was eating so much fat that it was sticking to my liver and slowly killing me. I was in the same condition as hardcore alcoholics find themselves in after years of drinking. That, along with the fact that my grandfather died of a heart attack a few years ago and a dad who has had multiple heart attacks and who has diabetes type II, really put THE fear in me. I realized that I was addicted to overeating and hadn't really realized it.

How I lost it:
Step one was to think about the fact that I believe in a law of health called the Word of Wisdom which sets forth strict guidelines about what is appropriate to eat (lots of grains, veggies, fruit and meat/cheese, etc. sparingly). I believe in this law and so it was time to live it.

Step two was to remember that God never gives a commandment that is impossible to abide by.

Next, I began getting rid of my worst eating habits which basically meant giving up the triple layer late night quesadillas that I'm famous for. I also cut out the cheap fast food which is the equivalent to crack if it were a drug.

After that I began controlling portions. It was easier for breakfast and lunch but more difficult at the evening meal because of Sarah's fine cooking. Finally, I began exercising and counting calories (and now "points").

I would be remiss not to give a huge amount of credit to Sarah. Her great example of healthy living was always there for me to imitate and watching her lose weight after courageously having our babies made me realize it's all about WILL power and FAITH. It's scary to step out into the darkness because we're used to our routines and it's scary to feel the pain of hunger which, I might add, subsides considerably once your body begins to transform.

Why share this? Well, I'm proud of what I've a accomplished, but more than that I want to inspire others to take the steps toward better health. I might also add that as the body heals and transforms, so does one's spirit. By carefully watching what goes into the body, it's easier to begin thinking about what we put in our minds.

Click on the image below to see the stats of my weight loss (I starting using fitday.com about a year ago and thanks to this website I have a graphical depiction of my weight loss). One of these days I'm going to post some before and after photos eventually.


Oh yeah, I am about to go in for another blood test and I'll find out more about the health of my liver. My physician told me, however, that just by losing the weight that my numbers she back at the "normal" level.

7 comments:

Holly Moore said...

This comment is for all the recent blogs. First, congrats on losing all that weight this year, I definitely need to change my attitude about food, I am afraid that I will pay for it sooner than later. Two: Sarah looks awesome in all the pictures, she looks so thin and healthy. Third, your kids are so stinking cute, and your sense of humor cracks me up. Awesome posts!

Jennifer said...

Dan that is awesome! Good for you! I definitely need to follow your example but I love Cupcakes soooooo much! Hope your liver is happy with your success too!

aprilaleman said...

Hey, I am tagging you. This way a blog is more like a journal in some respects. Check out my latest link for further info.

The Ward Family said...

Great job! That's exciting!

Maigen said...

Congrats! That is very inspirational! So far I've lost 7 lbs, and my goal is a total loss of 65. So, I'm like, one-tenth there! Wish me luck! It's great to hear of people who actually do it!

Spence said...

Dan,

As always you are an inspiration. Since I started school and am confined to either the library or my desk for at least 14 hours a day - I've put on about 20lbs extra.

Thanks for inspiring me to get things rolling (and get the rolls off of me). You're a great man.

Familia Bethers said...

You look awesome! Congrats. I on the other hand and doing the opposite. You've inspired me, and Sarah you look FABULOUS! You both ROCK!