Wednesday, March 19, 2008

10,000 reasons not to watch this in the theater

http://www.latinoreview.com/images/user/10000bcpic1.jpg
Do yourself a favor and stay in the present: 10,000B.C. is worse than I could have imagined. This will be a short review because I really don't have a lot to say about this movie other than that I implore you not to waste any money on it. If you're simply compelled to check out the CGI in the movie, which is decent, make sure you do so on DVD so you can make fun of it as you watch it. In fact, now that I think of it, this is one of those movies which lends itself perfectly to a treatment from the peanut gallery.

My dad and brother-in-law Adam dragged me out to see this. Good thing I didn't shell out any of my hard earned money to see this because I would have asked for a full refund. The plot, acting, and overall theme were all quite weak. Historical accuracy went out the window in the first five minutes, which is fine, I can accept this as a fantasy, but things only became more and more laughable. I could actually anticipate when the next action sequence would come because the pacing was so predictable.

The main gripe I have with this movie is that it tried to be too many things to too many people and it failed on all counts. It wasn't a great action movie, it wasn't very funny, it definitely wasn't serious, and it never had any real sense of pathos. When I was supposed to feel sad, I felt bored and when the action was at its height, I didn't once fear for the characters because things were surely going to turn out great. I won't spoil anything, but there are a few truly absurd moments awaiting anyone who dares tread that deep into this one.

My personal grade: D+
Overall grade for my friends (if you're in the mood for "TV grade," midnless entertainment): C+/B-

3 comments:

Familia Bethers said...

We already made the mistake of seeing it! We were invited to go with some friends, and we hadn't even seen the trailers. Some of us had to really keep from laughing through some of it.

Maigen said...

How about how it kept going and going, just adding and adding useless plot-lines and twists and turns to make it longer and more frustrating? What about that?

Daniel T said...

First of all, laughing at this movie is not only appropriate but necessary in order to keep one's sanity. And yes, I absolutely agree about the useless plot lines.