Monday, April 20, 2009

Not Without My Brother

Since returning from NYC where we walked around and saw so many interesting things, I have oft contemplated how although NYC is the "coolest" city I have every been to, there are precious gems in our own backyard. Riverside has almost 300,000 residents and a rich history to offer and I feel like we should explore it more than we do and there's no better way than on foot.

We love living near UC Riverside and one of my running routes cuts through campus. There is a beautiful area with trees and grass next to the Student Health Center that we often jog by and that the kids call "the forest." They often ask if I will run through "the pretty place" when we leave the house.
Two weeks ago for FHE we finally took the chance to take a picnic in "the pretty place." We pushed the kids in the stroller and, once on campus, they got out and walked a bit themselves. I do not remember exactly why, but Carter was throwing a fit as we approached the picnic spot. We decided we would just leave him (not really, we were just trying to motivate him to get up and moving) but Claire would have no part in that. She went from being concerned to "pulling him up" herself. What a girl!






Once we arrived, we enjoyed a fine meal of PB & J for the kids and tuna for us;) We had a lesson courtesy The Friend Magazine and then played on the grass for a while.



They love their daddy and I can tell why!

Carter: "Me too, me too"

Playing with a ball

Then we walked to University Village to enjoy some yogurt together at Berrysweet.




Claire: "Mo waa waa peese"


The sun setting at University Village.

Once we started walking home, we realized just how far we had walked to get there and Blaine is no small hill pushing 75 lbs (both kids). Regardless of the fact that we might have bit off a bit more than we wanted to chew for an evening stroll, we had a great evening together! By the way, we used GMap Pedometer to find out how far we hiked and discovered we walked nearly 4.5 miles. I appreciate Danny always being a good sport on the adventures I plan--he didn't complain once. ;)



9 comments:

Moore Family said...

I love how they look out for each other. I used to do that same thing.... one time I was threatening to make Jami get out of the car and walk home and Ashley got hysterical because she thought I was actually going to leave her.

The Ward Family said...

I love the adventures you guys take. Claire cracks me up. Her hair looks like it's grown a lot and I LOVE Berrysweet!

Jennifer said...

Claire's hair is growing like a weed. The kids look so big!

Burnhams said...

Hey Danny. Yeah Christmas time was crazy with family stuff... Then I lost your number when I lost my phone so give me a call anytime! You guys seem great!

Cox Family said...

We used to go to the "big grass" as we called all the time. My kids loved it. Thanks for the pictures of Riverside - I never thought I would say that I miss it, but I do. You guys look great too!

Sam and Janiece said...

Ah...how fun! I can't believe how big your kids are!

c said...

Great pictures!! Such cuties! Dave's in NYC right now; you just missed each other.

Familia Bethers said...

What a beautiful family you have. Seriously. I love to see when the kids love each other so much they play together, laugh together, hold hands and hug, and are even concerned for one another. What a great family! BTW - We're headed your way in a couple of weeks ... have some time???

Kat said...

Cutest family! I lvoe that you took FHE pics. You'll love looking back on them.

Have fun in Utah. We'll get together when you come back.

ps. I told Annette to get The Shack from you and read it.